NATO Message Board Logo Dedicated to the 1983-1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#213895 - 05/11/05 05:42 PM 87/88 Front Suspension Coil-Over Upgrade & Parts List  
Joe F Offline
The Turbonator...
Joe F  Offline
The Turbonator...

Hawkins, Texas - USA
Well, the conversion has been done a little over a week now. I've had a chance to do some normal driving and also some spirited mountain road driving. My observation: WOW!

Road feel: Vastly enhanced; some might find it a little harsh, especially if used to the "soft" PRC setting. When on a smooth road, nice, smooth ride. A crappy road and you really feel it; it's pretty stiff.

Steering: Absolutely no play that I can detect. If the steering is merely twitched, the car responds. When a turn is entered, the car stays on that heading until the wheel is again moved; none of that steering wheel correction nonsense to keep on your line.

Body roll: None that I can detect so far. Corners so flat it's almost scary. Same with nose dive during braking: none.

Now that the front end is up to snuff, I can begin to feel the strange things that the rear end is doing when the car is pushed hard through corners; it's now easy to tell that the rear suspension needs work to be as good as the front is. That upgrade is next on the agenda, hopefully some time this summer.

In retrospect the springs I used on the front might be a tad bit hard, but this isn't a daily driver and even if it was, I like it!

Maximum Motorsports was used as a one-stop shop for all the parts: I liked what I read about them on various web sites, and Jason, the tech I dealt with, was knowledgeable, courteous, and very helpful even though they specialize in Mustangs.

Part MM Part Number
-------------------------------------------
Steering Rack Bushings 6-703-BL
Tierod Boots U2
Swaybar Bushings 6-1125-BL
Swaybar End Links 19-412-BL
Coil Over Kit COP-1
Springs HYP27512250
Control Arms MMFCA-7
Bilstein Struts V36-4138-H1
Caster/Camber Plates MMCC8388

I hope this "shopping list" helps someone in the future. I did quite a bit of research before I committed to this project, and I thank all the folks who helped me with info. Special thanks to Chuck W! BTW all the parts just bolted in; I had no issues whatsoever.

Questions are welcome.

Update 5/15/05: Forgot to mention that I lowered the front end 1/2".

------------------
Joe F.

JR's Place - My 87 TC

[This message has been edited by JoeCool (edited 05-15-2005).]

JR's Place - My '87 Turbocoupe
#213896 - 05/11/05 10:11 PM Re: 87/88 Front Suspension Coil-Over Upgrade & Parts List  
Lx-tasy Offline
Boosting 15 psi
Lx-tasy  Offline
Boosting 15 psi

Jacksonville, FL
Good info Joe.I am glad it all turned out good for you.I am going to go that route sometime in the future but I am going tubular K-member and a-arms also.Along with a 5-lug swap.
Thanks,
Chris

#213897 - 05/12/05 02:24 AM Re: 87/88 Front Suspension Coil-Over Upgrade & Parts List  
martin0660 Offline
Full Boost Poster
martin0660  Offline
Full Boost Poster

Greensburg, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeCool:
Now that the front end is up to snuff, I can begin to feel the strange things that the rear end is doing when the car is pushed hard through corners;

Great write up Joe.

I did all of my rear suspension this year, and can report just the opposite. I have clearly deffined how sloppy the front end is

------------------
My 88 Thunderbird TC Pictures, Updated 5-8 with a few drag pics

Moderated by  BJL 

Site Links
NATO Pages
TC Technical
Google Site Search
Newest Members
fletcherhyslop, TheBoostedBird, mack, Cowboy Cody, HotRodn
5748 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
50,951 please help
Shout Box
NATO Member Photos
Looks good, in the rain!
Big-Al's 88 Turbocoupe
My 1988 Turbo Coupe..forever a work in progress
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (86thunderchicken), 8 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Website Created 3-12-2000
Contents Copyright © 2000-2017
North American Turbocoupe Organization
A L L   R I G H T S   R E S E R V E D