Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#207624 - 07/16/10 06:48 PM Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD
I haven't been online as much as I used to be, and I certainly haven't posted anything having to do with my car, but that doesn't mean I haven't been sneaking in some work sessions as time allows.

I plan to have the car ready for Englishtown's Road Course by August 13th, so I can try to run a few break-in laps.

Here's what's done-

12" K&N cone
60-1 equiv. "holset hybrid" turbo
FMIC w/ modified DSM Gen1 BPV
Ranger Radiator w/custom shroud and slim fan
65mm Throttle Body
Custom tubular upper intake/ ported lower
Lightly ported rebuilt head
BoPort 1.9 cam w/ adj cam gear
Stinger header w/spacer, oil feed, oil drain
38mm External Wastegate (freebie from a friend!)
Looped cooling hoses w/new feed to oil "cooler"
46pph Injectors
Steeda Tri-ax (Stinger's wasn't available then)

I still have a LOT to do before August though. The suspension is going to get "freshened up" with goodies from Maximum Motorsports. The brakes will be redone with EBC pads/rotors. The clutch and flywheel will be replaced with bits from Spec and Fidanza, with ARP hardware. Chuck's Motor Mounts are waiting next to the lightweight starter. The new seats/harnesses will be mounted. The Downpipe needs redone to match Stinger's header and I'll need to run the flex-pipe for the wastegate dump. I'm sure I'm forgetting something here, but it kills to me to see all this stuff just sitting, while I don't have enough time to install it all right now.

http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/PIC_0097.jpg

http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/PIC_0098.jpg

http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/PIC_0099.jpg

I hope the pictures load up properly.
-Nate

1987tc
#207625 - 07/17/10 07:04 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
Stinger Offline
Boosting 15 psi
Stinger  Offline
Boosting 15 psi

Shawnee (Kansas City), KS, USA
Looking good!

www.Stinger-Performance.com

85 TC
85 SVO
86 SVO
87 Merkur
#207626 - 07/21/10 03:10 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD
Thanx!

Today I started it for the 1st time since last October!

I rechecked cam, crank, dist for proper timing.
I had to tweak the throttle cable bracket I fabbed, because it wasn't returning fully. TPS voltage was off a bit at idle- no biggy. Also had to tweak a bracket to relocate the Coolant Overflow Reservoir.

For now, it still has the VAM, and since my IC piping and turbo location are different than with the GNIC I had previously, I had to re-fab the bracket to support the VAM.

Topped up all fluids, re-checked electrical connections, hooked up the battery- and it fired right up! I was really pleased since I've changed so much since the last time it ran.

Wish it always went this smoothly.
Now I gotta finish the downpipe and wastegate dump, then it's time to address the suspension.
I don't think it'll be ready for Aug 13th at Englishtown, but I'm plugging away!

-Nate

1987tc
#207627 - 07/23/10 12:04 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD
Today I ran it up to normal operating temp with no real problems.

I'll have to refab a bracket for the VAM and relocate the air filter, because the way I have it now isn't working well. It is pointed downward toward the lower radiator support. With the bypass valve right after it, the fairly lumpy cam, and the weight of the flapper door itself, it doesn't want to start happily or idle properly. No biggie.

I pieced together a temp downpipe to get me to my welder's shop so I can finalize the exhaust early next week.

Can't wait to get started on the suspension bits!
-Nate

1987tc
#207628 - 07/24/10 12:20 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
jmthunderbirdturbo Offline
Full Boost Poster
jmthunderbirdturbo  Offline
Full Boost Poster

Ostrander, Ohio
may need to tighten the apring a bit to account for the airflow of the big turbo. Email me for more info if needed.

-J0N

1986 TC 5MT-87 TC front clip, bottom mount I/C, SVO trans and STG 2 clutch, walbro...
1988 TC 5MT-Blue/Blue check-off car. resto-project.
2006 Honda Odyssey 5AT, baby-mobile.
2013 F-150, 5.0, 6AT, 4x4, snow white paint.
#207629 - 07/24/10 04:30 PM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD
Thanx Jon, I might take you up on that if it still acts funny after I get it sitting horizontal again.

I had considered running it BTV style after reading your write-up, but since I plan on eliminating the VAM completely in the next couple months, I figured I'd just go the normal-mount-route for now.

On a side-note:
If anyone purchases the caster/camber plates from Maximum Motorsports (MMCC8388), be sure to check the little hardware bag that comes with the kit. The (2) nylok nuts for locating the spherical bearing were one size too small. The correct 3/8" coarse thread nylok nuts were available at Home Depot for a couple bucks, so it was an easy fix.

-Nate

1987tc
#207630 - 07/28/10 07:06 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD
Today I was able to remount the VAM, and change the routing to the air filter, and valve cover breathers. This seems to have taken care of the idle "issue".

I put some rubber "bumper" between my homemade radiator fan shroud and the radiator to reduce vibration and noise. Should've done that in the 1st place.

For anyone who wants an easy project- just grab an appropriately sized metal cooking sheet or serving tray, mark the diameter of your fan, cut it out and paint it high-temp-black. Mount the fan to the shroud, and instant DIY success!

I also had the base ignition timing WAY off, must've bumped the aux gear when I did the cam swap, but that was an easy fix.

I think I messed up somewhere in my coolant hose routing too, since my Summit Temp Gauge isn't budging even though the factory gauge is showing normal temps.

I'm open to criticism/suggestions on this- here's how the system is routed now:

-Thermostat bypass nipple & water pump nipple are connected.

The rest of the system is as follows:

-Upper rad hose has a tee feeding the oil "cooler", then the oil cooler outlet runs thru the Summit Temp Sender and into the Lower Intake Manifold.

I figured the flow would come from the pump, thru the rad, into the tee, to the oil cooler, to the sender, into the head thru the lower intake, and back out the water pump. Guess not!

The hose running off the tee on the upper rad hose does get very hot to touch, so I it has to be getting flow thru it, right? The Summit gauge worked perfectly prior to mounting it in this location though, so I botched something.

At least it is running, and I was able to drive it briefly today for the first time since last October! I attached a picture showing the new vam/filter routing.

http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/PIC_0104.jpg

Any thoughts on the coolant hose routing would be helpful. Thanks!
-Nate

1987tc
#207631 - 07/28/10 11:41 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
86XR7auto Offline
86XR7auto  Offline

Mt. Pleasant, MI. USA
Interesting setup! Good luck on August 13!

Travis

86XR7 in pieces...old time 12.96@103.1mph http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGsz7PdEqTI 88TC stock Red RHSC 15.01@91.05, 01 Z71=Nice winter ride, 01 CVLX w/HPP wifes ride!
#207632 - 07/30/10 02:40 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD
Got a chance to drive it a few miles today. It was nice! It's running smoothly albeit a bit on the hot side, but it was 94* outside.

I think I'm going to need a larger fan and/or radiator. It IS possible there's a bubble in the system, or maybe the thermostat isn't opening- I'll check that this weekend.

I also procured some (1 x 2 x .120) rectangular steel tubing to fab subframe connectors this weekend. I had them cut in 65" sections, and I'll probably trim them down to 63" to run from the front of the front subframes back to just in front of the LCA mounts on the rear subframe.

Expect updates as they happen, and hopefully more pictures after the weekend progress.
-Nate

1987tc
#207633 - 08/01/10 01:20 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD
Well today was slow progress.

I trimmed the steel tubing to 64" so it'll fit from just after the bend in the front rails all the way back to just before the rear lca pickup points.

http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/PIC_0106.jpg

Then I tried to get the TurboChuck motor mounts installed, and decided to call it a day before even finishing one side.

I wish I would've had these before I bolted anything else to the longblock, because it is just short of impossible to pull the stock mounts with the manifolds/turbo/etc in the way.

I started on the passenger-side and was trying to get it done without pulling the header/turbo, but that's not gonna happen. It was slow going to pull all the nuts/bolts, and I finally got to the last bolt on the block (the upper one on the back), and realized after I had it broken loose that I had 2 big problems.

1. I can't get the wrench off once the bolt is loosened even 1.5 turns.
2. The bolt hits the header before it is even halfway out.

So, tomorrow I guess I'm pulling the turbo/header and finishing the passenger-side mount.

Hopefully I can get more done tomorrow!
-Nate

1987tc
#207634 - 08/01/10 04:23 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
Robert Camp Offline
Full Boost Poster
Robert Camp  Offline
Full Boost Poster

Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by natmac3:

I think I messed up somewhere in my coolant hose routing too, since my Summit Temp Gauge isn't budging even though the factory gauge is showing normal temps.

I'm open to criticism/suggestions on this- here's how the system is routed now:

-Thermostat bypass nipple & water pump nipple are connected.

The rest of the system is as follows:

-Upper rad hose has a tee feeding the oil "cooler", then the oil cooler outlet runs thru the Summit Temp Sender and into the Lower Intake Manifold.

I figured the flow would come from the pump, thru the rad, into the tee, to the oil cooler, to the sender, into the head thru the lower intake, and back out the water pump. Guess not!

The hose running off the tee on the upper rad hose does get very hot to touch, so I it has to be getting flow thru it, right? The Summit gauge worked perfectly prior to mounting it in this location though, so I botched something.

Same reply as on TurboFord
You've got the water flow backwards in your description. The pump draws from the radiator and pumps into the engine. Water exits the engine in three places; the thermostat housing, the lower intake housing, the water feed on the passenger side of the block for the turbo (you might not be using that one as you didn't mention a water return for the turbo.)

The line you've rigged would have the flow thru the lower intake manifold, thru the oil cooler and then to the return on the radiator side of the thermostat.

I don't think you have enough pressure differential there to get a proper flow.

The stock water flow (not radiator) is from the engine side of the thermostat (housing), to the heater core inlet(picking up the turbo return),from the heater core outlet to oil cooler inlet (picking up the flow from the lower intake housing), from the oil cooler outlet to the water pump intake side.

The water pump intake side creates a low pressure to pull the water thru the piping. You need to route to the water pump nipple or lower radiator line, not the water return line to the radiator.

Robert Camp
'86 Medium Regatta Blue TC, 5-speed, original owner.
#207635 - 08/01/10 05:42 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD
Thanx Robert!

I just finished a follow-up on TurboFord.

Here's a picture of how I think you recommended this:

http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/Cooling%20System%20Mod.jpg

So, is it acceptable to cap off the nipple at the thermostat and water pump?

Thanx again!
-Nate

1987tc
#207636 - 08/02/10 02:50 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
Robert Camp Offline
Full Boost Poster
Robert Camp  Offline
Full Boost Poster

Raleigh, NC
Yes, I believe so, can't think why not. Their purpose is to provide a source and return for the heater core (doesn't sound like you want that), the turbo return (you must not be using a water cooled turbo), and a return for the lower intake housing.

Robert Camp
'86 Medium Regatta Blue TC, 5-speed, original owner.
#207637 - 08/02/10 04:01 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD
Thanx again for the input Robert.

Today I simply removed the tee from the upper rad hose, capped off the thermostat nipple, and just connected the hose that was running to the thermostat nipple to the line running back from the oil cooler. Quick fix!

Today I was also able to finish installing both TurboChuck motor mounts! These things are top-notch pieces, and will allow enough clearance for the dump tube routing off the 38mm gate.

Tomorrow I'm scheduling time with my welder to get the exhuast sorted, and the subframe connectors welded in place.

Can't wait to get these bits finished!
-Nate

1987tc
#207638 - 08/02/10 09:29 PM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD
Well, my welder can't fit me in till Friday, so that's on standby, but at least I have a date.

Back to the coolant lines though. I think I underestimated the force generated by the water pump! I fixed the routing to the pump, but I still have no reading on the Summit temp gauge. The oil pressure is also staying high for longer than normal- a good indicator that there's little-to-no flow thru the oil cooler- delaying warmup. The hoses I'm using are probably getting sucked shut, so I'll switch to hard-lines.

On the drive back from the welder's shop, it was running on the high side of the factory temp gauge, and when I parked it in the driveway and shut it down, it started spitting coolant profusely from the rad cap! Guess I need to replace the thermostat, and sort out a few other bugs.

I was able to get my hood pins installed today, so I can quit test driving with a bungee cord- that's gotta count as progress...

Back to work!
-Nate

1987tc
#207639 - 08/03/10 11:05 PM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD
Progress report:

Today I pulled the stock thermostat and housing, and replaced them with Godfrey's Aluminum thermostat housing, and a 1/2" restrictor washer for now. After flushing and refilling the system, and letting it idle up to normal op-temp, I was pleased to find no leaks & no problems.

I replaced my water lines to the oil cooler with more rigid lines and they seem to be working, but I still don't get any reading from the Summit Temp Gauge- so I need to remove it to verify if it works anymore.

I also installed a PMGR mini-starter in place of the heavy stock unit. The wiring was super easy, just swap the power wire to the new starter, move the other side of that same wire to the +12v side of the stock starter solenoid, and run a new wire (supplied w/starter!) from the now vacant post on the starter solenoid down to the new starter. I did have to drill out the hole in the stock starter wire becuase the post on the new unit was slightly larger. Cakework! It even sounds like a better starter!

http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/PIC_0109.jpg

http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/PIC_0112.jpg

http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/PIC_0113.jpg

Can't wait to get the exhaust finished, hook up the wideband and play a little!
-Nate

1987tc
#207640 - 08/04/10 03:09 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
RC Martin Offline
Full Boost Poster
RC Martin  Offline

Full Boost Poster

Inland NW
Lookin' good.

You stole my idea of getting an n/a 2.3 oil cap and routing the line to the breather and intake! ;-) My stock VC breather has always seemed to wiggle it's way out (and is currently zip-tied in place...) since it sits so loose, should vent the top end much better with both lines in place.

What are you going to do with the stock hood scoops?

84 TC - Bright Canyon Red, Rebuilt Motor .040 Over & 3-Angle Valve Job
Gnari FMIC / Recirc Pipe / HKS-SQV BPV, Stinger MBC @ 15psi, RF-E6 Manifold, Remote-Mount TFI, PC1 and Flowed 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR
KYB / ES-Poly Fully Rebuilt Suspension on Stock Springs, EBC Green Pads
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2289955
#207641 - 08/04/10 03:51 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD
The valve cover breathers seemed like a cheap & easy, logical way to help vent any crankcase pressure effectively. So why not, right?!

The scoops are a whole other can-o-worms.

I had to remove the driver-side scoop due to interference with my intercooler piping. I could just trim the back corner of the scoop to fit, but I have a couple other ideas I've been toying with in my head.

I have some nice screen material that I could cover the openings with, and I've also found some NACA ducts that would fit really nicely in the openings, with a little trimming on the plastic flange on the NACA duct. Just not sure which I think would work better.

I might just cover the one I removed with the screen material and leave the other one in place to blow some cool air over the turbo/header. I really don't want to needlessly increase underhood pressure though.

Right now, I'm waiting on a Dwyer Magnehelic gauge that is sensitive enough to monitor aerodynamic pressure variances on the body of the car at cruising speed! Fun stuff!

So once that comes, I plan see whether the hood scoop location can be used effectively as a heat extraction vent to help increase pressure differential across the radiator & intercooler, to help control operating temps and intake charge temps! Wouldn't THAT be some good stuff?!

Ultimately, whatever I end up doing with the scoops & scoop location will be determined by some good'ol homebrew aero testing.

I love playing with ideas!
-Nate

1987tc
#207642 - 08/06/10 01:58 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
qumanchew Offline
Boosting 10 psi
qumanchew  Offline
Boosting 10 psi

Kutztown, PA
I like this thread, keep the updates coming!

87 tbird 5 speed with 3.73, 255 pump, kirban, large front mount, custom rotated upper, AC & pwr steering gone, .48 T3, ported E6, 3" DP. Shelf: T3T4
#207643 - 08/06/10 04:16 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD
Will do!

Today I found out that UPS had a mixup with the pressure gauge I plan to test with, AND my welder can't spare time to finish my exhaust and subframe connectors till Monday. So that's a few more things on hold for now.

But in anticipation of airflow testing results, I contacted a company that does laser and waterjet cutting, and sent them a bezel design to quote a production price.

This would be the frame for my heat extraction vents.
Here's the rough image:

http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/ScoopTemplate3D.jpg

They told me the majority of expense for a prototype would be in creating the initial CAD drawing, so I downloaded the free trial of AutoCAD2011, and drew it out myself! Now I'm waiting to hear back from them with pricing and timeframe info.

I can't wait to get some more work done!
-Nate

1987tc
#207644 - 08/06/10 06:25 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
RC Martin Offline
Full Boost Poster
RC Martin  Offline

Full Boost Poster

Inland NW
Sounds like a great idea to devise a scheme that ensure the hood scoops supply some beneficial pressure. Keep on it.

84 TC - Bright Canyon Red, Rebuilt Motor .040 Over & 3-Angle Valve Job
Gnari FMIC / Recirc Pipe / HKS-SQV BPV, Stinger MBC @ 15psi, RF-E6 Manifold, Remote-Mount TFI, PC1 and Flowed 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR
KYB / ES-Poly Fully Rebuilt Suspension on Stock Springs, EBC Green Pads
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2289955
#207645 - 08/07/10 06:05 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD
Thanx!

After searching for a ridiculously long time for the aero info I posted a little while ago, I decided to do some real-world testing of my own.

And since many of us are building for performance, and installing front-mount intercoolers, the scoops aren't being utilized as they were initially intended.

It got me wondering if the scoops were now increasing underhood pressure behind the radiator, reducing its efficiency.

I'm going to have the custom bezels produced no matter what though- they'll be my very own custom piece!
But if I can PROVE that the scoop location will be functionally appropriate for a heat extraction vent, then that would be the proverbial "icing".

Science at work!
-Nate

1987tc
#207646 - 08/14/10 03:15 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD
UPDATE:

Can you say PROTOTYPE!!!

http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/PIC_0114.jpg
http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/PIC_0116.jpg
http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/PIC_0115.jpg

The hood inserts I designed arrived today!
I mocked up a couple different screen materials to get an idea of the finished look,
and took one picture with the bezel sitting in position on the hood.

I'm really happy with these pieces!
-Nate

1987tc
#207647 - 08/17/10 12:19 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD

1987tc
#207648 - 08/17/10 11:24 PM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD
Progress:
I did another mock-up today, with a different screen material.

http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/PIC_0121.jpg
http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/PIC_0122.jpg

Setback:
It looks like the wasted trip to my welder's shop cost me the headgasket.
I knew it was running hot, and the coolant spewing out the cap made me a little nervous,
but today while tracking down a couple little issues, I saw fluid bubbling out from between the header & turbo. Bad sign.

Ah well, it gave me time to work out another neat little plan:
http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/PIC_0124.jpg

It is so simple, but should work well.
I pulled the 90* oil filter adapter off a merkur, and a spare oil cooler off a parts motor.
I test fitted on a parts car to verify clearance, and it looks like it'll fit fine.
If I run into clearance issues, I can still run the 90* adapter with a single oil cooler, and use a larger oil filter!

It's a win either way!
-Nate

1987tc
#207649 - 09/06/10 06:24 PM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD
It's been awhile, but I've been busy with my job search...

I changed the headgasket, and the head and deck both look good still-
so I'm thinking that the studs lost clamping force from sitting so long.
And I never retorqued, so that's probably why it let go.

The Summit gauge had a crack in the capillary tube right next to the sender, so there's another mystery solved.

I haven't had a chance to do any aerodynamic road testing, due to the downtime,
but I WILL post data when I get it on the road.

Meanwhile, after giving SERIOUS thought, lots of research,
and a few emails back-&-forth with Jon, I've decided to try the Blow Thru Vam configuration.

I took some pictures of the VAM so future "tinkerers" (thanx for the help Jon)
can have an easier time visualizing the modifications.

1. Here's the VAM with the plastic cover removed:
http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/VAMopenTop.jpg
2. Here's the VAM with the plugs removed:
http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/VAMidleBypassPlugs.jpg
3. Here's the VAM with a screwdriver in the idle screw access hole:
http://natomessageboard.com/uploads/00000666/VAMidleBypass.jpg

I removed both plugs to clean the passages a bit,
but you would only need to remove the top plug to access the idle screw for fine tuning.

Jeff K posted a good explanation here:
http://natomessageboard.com/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=000024

More to come!
-Nate

1987tc
#207650 - 09/09/10 04:57 AM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
natmac3 Offline
natmac3  Offline

Aberdeen, MD
Ignition timing dialed in.
All connections double-checked.

Jumper cables, and it's alive! (again)

Every time I try to start it after it's been sitting, the battery is dead.
I've gone thru 1 brandnew and 2 good used batteries already this year.
Once it was idling, I verified 14v at the trunk-mounted battery...
This is going to take some investigation, but for now I'll just pull the (+) cable.

I installed a new coolant temp gauge, and still have to finish the other ones
( oil temp, oil psi, and volt )
They're going above the cd player.

Also, I now have a turbine outlet flange that will accept 3" right off the turbo (thanks Reeve!).
I have the flange, 3" flex section, and wastegate flex dump tube ready to go,
so hopefully I can get the exhaust buttoned up before the weekend.

Cecil Dragway is calling my name!
-Nate

1987tc
#207651 - 09/09/10 10:45 PM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
Boooost'86 Offline
Boosting 5 psi
Boooost'86  Offline
Boosting 5 psi

Savannah, Ga
Hey looks beautiful with the new turbo and ic pipes

Black '86 Turbocoupe 5spd 131K DD
18 PSI t3
TMIC mod
Single 2 1/2" Straight to muffler
Cone filter
'88 hood
#207652 - 09/10/10 04:44 PM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
jmthunderbirdturbo Offline
Full Boost Poster
jmthunderbirdturbo  Offline
Full Boost Poster

Ostrander, Ohio
nice work. let me know if i can help at all with the VAM setup.

-J0N

1986 TC 5MT-87 TC front clip, bottom mount I/C, SVO trans and STG 2 clutch, walbro...
1988 TC 5MT-Blue/Blue check-off car. resto-project.
2006 Honda Odyssey 5AT, baby-mobile.
2013 F-150, 5.0, 6AT, 4x4, snow white paint.
#207653 - 09/10/10 06:56 PM Re: Project Progress - pictures and updates  
Jeff K Offline
NATO President
Jeff K  Offline
NATO President

Milwaukee, WI
Nate, run an amp draw test with the key off (amp meter in series with neg batt cable) and see what the draw is. Should be in the 10's mA range, depending on accessories, like amplifiers, etc. If excess draw, look for hood/trunk/glove box lights always on, pull alt output wire (bad diodes in alt can pull over an amp), etc to find the draw. A few hundred mA draw will kill a batt is a few days or even overnight.

Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
05 Taurus SEL Duratec daily driver
04 Taurus Duratec (wifes car)
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BJL 

Site Links
NATO Pages
TC Technical
Google Site Search
Newest Members
Springbird, Turbo Cruiser, TCtbird88, Hurtboysracing, Ford4life
5721 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
45,879 please help
Shout Box
NATO Member Photos
Looks good, in the rain!
Big-Al's 88 Turbocoupe
My 1988 Turbo Coupe..forever a work in progress
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Website Created 3-12-2000
Contents Copyright © 2000-2017
North American Turbocoupe Organization
A L L   R I G H T S   R E S E R V E D